Carbonite Mobile Offers Expanded Protect Features for Android
BOSTON – December 10, 2012
– The holidays bring endless photo opportunities of family, friends and food. With 56% of smartphone owners choosing their phones over their cameras to chronicle their lives through photos and videos*, Carbonite
, Inc., a leading provider of online backup
solutions for consumers and small businesses, reminds them that it’s important to back up and protect that content. Recently Carbonite updated its free mobile app – Carbonite Mobile
– to add new features that make it even easier to protect the photos and videos on your Android smartphone or tablet for free.
Backing up and protecting all of the mobile content captured on smartphones and tablets ensures that precious memories are accessible and safe, whether Santa Claus accidentally steps on your new tablet or a crazy New Year’s Eve bash leads to a lost phone. Carbonite Mobile allows people to back up the photos and videos created on their mobile devices to the cloud, and also includes features exclusively for Android
that protect their mobile device and personal data in the event of loss or theft.
New to the lineup of features that protect Android phones and tablets is “Capture,” which allows the device owner to remotely activate a phone’s camera and capture an image of the person using the phone if it is lost or stolen. You may capture a photo of your thief red-handed, which can be shared with authorities and used to aid in the recover of your missing device.
Additional protection features of Carbonite Mobile for Android include:
- Locate: Uses the Android device’s built-in location services to track where it is
- Ring: This feature causes the Android device to emit a sound, even when set to silent or vibrate
- Lock: Remotely adds a passcode to the Android device for additional security
- Capture: If you think your device was stolen, remotely activate the camera to capture a photo of the person using your phone
- Destroy: Remotely wipes a user’s personal data (including SD card) from an Android device, restoring it to factory settings
In addition to Carbonite Mobile’s Protect features, Backup and Access features are provided to both Android and iOS users. The Backup feature lets people back up the full resolution photos and videos located on their iOS or Android device securely to the cloud, and archives any photos and videos accidently deleted from the mobile device. The Access feature allows people to view all of their backed up files from any device with the app or through Carbonite’s web portal. For current Carbonite online backup
customers, the App will also allow them to access the files in their Carbonite PC or Mac backup.
Carbonite Mobile is available now for free for iOS and Android devices and can easily be downloaded through the App Store or Google Play Store.
*Study conducted by Carbonite and Wakefield Research in Q2 2012.