- Our employees already back up files to external hard drives. Why should we use Carbonite?
- What types of files does Carbonite back up?
- Will Carbonite back up my external hard drive?
- Will Carbonite back up my NAS device?
- Can I use Carbonite to back up my servers?
- How much does Pro backup cost?
- Is Carbonite secure?
- Do Carbonite data centers undergo SOC 2 security and access controls?
- How much time will it take to get started?
- Do you offer non-profit pricing discounts?
- Do you offer special pricing for educational institutions?
- Are Carbonite Pro plans HIPAA compliant?
- Does Carbonite allow me to manage my own encryption key?
1. Our employees already back up files to external hard drives. Why should we use Carbonite?
When you subscribe to Carbonite your company's backup will be more efficient, secure and hassle-free. Consider:
- Carbonite is completely automatic. You don't have to remember to back up, because Carbonite never forgets. Once you install Carbonite, it works on its own, backing up your files whenever your computers are connected to the Internet.
- Carbonite stores your files safely offsite. Offsite storage keeps your backup safe from theft, fires, floods, accidents, and anything else that can happen in your office or home.
- Carbonite is more reliable than your external hard drive. Carbonite stores your backup on a redundant disk array (RAID) that is immeasurably more reliable than a computer's internal hard drive, or an external hard drive. The good news is that you can include your external hard drives in your Carbonite backup – and we strongly recommend that you do.
- Carbonite backs up wherever you go. As long as employees are connected to the Internet – Carbonite backs them up. Whether they're in the office, at home or on the road, Carbonite keeps working to keep everyone's backup up to date.
- Carbonite makes it easy to monitor everyone's backup. A simple, browser-based dashboard lets you check backup status for everyone's computer, at a glance - and monitor the backup storage levels for your company.
2. What types of files does Carbonite back up?
Carbonite backs up many of the most common file types you’d use in a small or mid-sized business. This includes, but is certainly not limited to:
- Point-of-sale (POS) files
- Pictures and graphics
- Financial/Accounting files (.QBB, .PTB)
- Customer relationship management files
These file types will be included in your backup automatically if the files are saved in your Users folders. If you have files stored outside your Users folders, you can manually add them to your backup.
Carbonite Pro plans do not back up:
- Application program files (the files you install when you install a program such as Microsoft Word, Quicken, etc.)
- Temporary files (files your programs create for various reasons, while you're using the program)
- System files (files that make up part of your Windows or Mac OS operating system)
If you have a question about a specific file type, please contact our sales team at BusinessTeam@carbonite.com or 1-855-227-2249.
3. Will Carbonite back up my external hard drive?
Carbonite Pro plans allow you to include external drives in your backup. To include an external hard drive in your backup, it needs to be attached to the computer by a USB connection and formatted in NTFS, HF+, or FAT32. You may back up as many external hard drives as you would like, provided you have enough storage space available. If you need additional storage, you can add it to your account at any time.
4. Will Carbonite back up my NAS device?
Carbonite Pro plans allow you to manually add NAS devices to your backup. An account administrator using a Windows computer must right-click on the NAS device and select "Back this up". Once added to the backup, any data on that NAS device will be automatically included in the admin's backup. Note: This functionality is only available using the Windows version of Carbonite through an Administrator Account.
5. Can I use Carbonite to back up my servers?
Carbonite Pro Plus and Prime plans allow you to include Windows file servers running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 2008 or 2011 in your backup. You may include as many servers running these operating systems as you'd like, provided your account has enough storage. If you need additional storage, you may add it to your account at any time.
The Pro Basic plan ($269.99/year) does not include server backup. If you would like to back up a server, you must upgrade to a Plus or Prime plan.
Please note: Pro Plus and Prime plans allow you to back up Windows file servers, but they do not allow you to back up databases and live applications such as SQL, Exchange or Oracle. If you need to back up a database or live application, check out our Server plans.
6. How much does Pro backup cost?
Carbonite offers three plans to protect your business files:
- Pro Basic costs $269.99/year and provides 250 GB of backup space to share between an unlimited number devices
- Pro Plus costs $499.99/year and provides 250 GB of backup space to share between an unlimited number of devices, including Windows servers
- Pro Prime costs $599.99/year and provides 500 GB of backup space to share between an unlimited number of devices, including Windows servers
Subscribe for longer and save. Multi-year pricing provides a 5% discount for 2 years, and a 10% discount for 3 years for all Pro plans.
Compare the three Pro plans »
7. Is Carbonite secure?
Yes. Your business depends on your data – so we make it our top priority to keep your data safe. We encrypt your files before they leave your computer and encrypt them again during transit to one of our data centers using the same security technology used in online banking and e-commerce transactions. Your files remain encrypted on our servers, which are housed in state-of-the-art data centers that are guarded 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Find out more about what we do to keep your data safe.
8. Do Carbonite data centers undergo SOC 2 security and access controls?
Yes, Carbonite requires that each of its data centers is subject to an independent audit of its security and access procedures. These audits are conducted by independent CPA firms following internationally recognized procedures established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. These audits provide assurance that each data center has a system of controls in place that are designed and operating effectively. Additional information regarding Carbonite's Data Security Practices can be found in our data security white paper.
9. How much time will it take to get started?
It takes less than 10 minutes to set up Carbonite for your company, and another 5 minutes for each employee to start using it to back up their systems. Specifically:
- Signing up for the Carbonite trial takes less than 5 minutes (and, because it requires no credit card, there's nothing to cancel if you decide Carbonite isn't right for your company).
- After you sign up, it takes just a few more minutes to invite your users to join your company account via the easy-to-use administrative dashboard.
- Carbonite sends each user an email on your behalf with a link and instructions for installing Carbonite on their computers. The installation itself takes less than five minutes - and doesn't require them to restart their computers or close anything they're working on.
After that, you and your team are done – Carbonite starts backing up automatically, in the background.
Want to learn more? We’ll even handle the whole installation for you over the phone with our free Valet Install service. Give our business team a call at 855-227-2249 to get started.
10. Do you offer non-profit pricing discounts?
Yes, we offer discounted pricing for non-profit businesses. Contact our sales team at BusinessTeam@carbonite.com or 855-227-2249 for details.
11. Do you offer special pricing for educational institutions?
Yes, we offer special pricing for educational institutions. Contact our sales team at BusinessTeam@carbonite.com or 855-227-2249 for details.
12. Are Carbonite Pro plans HIPAA compliant?
All Carbonite Pro plans support HIPAA compliance. If you're a healthcare or insurance professional looking to safeguard your Protected Health Information (PHI), we can provide a Business Associate Agreement (BAA).Please contact our sales team at 855-227-2249 or BusinessTeam@carbonite.com.
Please note: If you need to remain HIPAA compliant, you will be unable to use Carbonite's Sync & Share app.
13. Does Carbonite allow me to manage my own encryption key?
Yes. During installation, Carbonite Business account admins can select private encryption key management, allowing them to manage the sole copy of the encryption key for each Windows computer, NAS device and server. With private encryption key management, no one, not even the Carbonite technical support staff, can recover files without your unique encryption key. And since your private encryption key is never sent to Carbonite, there will be no way to recover the key should it be lost or misplaced. For more information on private encryption key management, please contact our small business team at 855-227-2249 or BusinessTeam@carbonite.com.
Please note: If you choose to manage your own encryption key, you will be unable to use features such as Anytime, Anywhere Access and Courier Recovery.
Our small business team is here to help.
Call us at: 1-855-227-2249