Looking back and planning for next year
The start of the new year is the perfect time to take stock of your past accomplishments, make your new year’s resolutions and get organized for the year ahead.
It’s not often that we can take the time to look back – but it’s the most important step for planning your next year. After all, knowing what went well and where you want to improve lets you focus your time where it’s needed most.
That’s why being organized is so critical – not only does it help you plan for what’s next, but it also helps you when it’s time to look back. How can you review your work if you can’t find your old files? And how can you know where you want to improve if you haven’t flagged your challenges.
Resolving to get organized
We all have some sort of organizing method, but they don’t all help us out when it counts. Here’s how you know it’s time to get organized:
- Difficulty finding things. Is it hard to find your best projects? Not sure which file is complete, the one named “project.final” or the one named “project.final_edits”?
- Your files aren’t backed up. It’s important to keep your files, folders and photos secure with a strong backup solution. Knowing where everything is won’t help you if you suffer from data loss.
- You don’t know what’s next. Your most brilliant plans and ideas can’t blossom if you’re always sidetracked. Strong organizing helps you always know the next step.
Making room for your big plans
Once you’re organized, you can start planning for the year. If you have a big project you want to tackle, make sure you’re ready with the right tools. Ask yourself if you have the right software and hardware and double check that you have enough space on your computer and enough space in your backup solution.
This lets you minimize interruptions when you’re hard at work and the creative juices are flowing. And when interruptions do happen, if you’re set up correctly then you’ll know you can start back up right where you left off.
Ready to start organizing?
Encrypting your files and choosing a good backup plan is a key step to starting the year off right.
Here are 3 top tips for organizing your files and photos:
- Choose a method. Whether you organize by date, file type or project, this is a great first step.
- Back up everything. Data loss doesn’t discriminate based on how organized you are, so make sure to protect your files and folders with a backup plan.
- Make sure to keep it going. Getting organized is a big step, but you can’t forget to keep it going.
Explore Carbonite plans
Our award-winning cloud-based backup solutions all feature unlimited storage, so you never have to worry about having enough space to handle all your big ideas. Our plans also include automatic file and photo backup as well as remote access, so you can work where you are.