Today Carbonite announced that it is acquiring EVault from Seagate. We’re excited about the deal – in addition to gaining new products that will help us recognize our vision of providing comprehensive disaster recovery and business continuity solutions to small and midsize businesses, we’re welcoming more than 200 EVault employees and 5,300 customers to Carbonite.
We checked in with Carbonite CEO Mohamad Ali to get some more information about the acquisition and what changes Carbonite and EVault customers and channel partners should expect.
What products are you acquiring?
MA: We’re excited to bring three new product lines into the Carbonite lineup:
- EVault Cloud Backup and Recovery – software-only solution for server backup
- EVault Backup and Recovery Appliance – all the benefits of EVault Cloud Backup and Recovery with an appliance form factor for local backup and restore
- EVault Cloud Resiliency Services – DRaaS services providing failover in the cloud
The addition of these products help us round out our product portfolio and immediately provide the features and functionality needed to support larger and more complex environments, specifically those at the higher end of the SMB market.
Why did Carbonite decide to make this acquisition?
MA: There are three key benefits that make EVault a great fit for Carbonite.
- Expands our solution offering – Carbonite gains robust, customer-proven disaster recovery and business continuity solutions, including a line of cloud-connected appliances and advanced disaster recovery as a service, which enable us to better serve customer needs.
- Increases our market opportunity – EVault’s products and technology, together with its active Managed Service Providers (MSP) and reseller channel, enable us to substantially expand our addressable market, providing and supporting complete disaster recovery and business continuity solutions for all SMBs, including those with complex environments.
- Creates greater value – As an established mid-market provider, EVault brings powerful technology and robust product capabilities. Carbonite will bring our strengths to the EVault business, including our highly efficient cloud storage infrastructure and award-winning customer support. Both Carbonite and EVault have strong brand awareness in our respective markets, and together, we’re positioned to be one of the leading providers of data protection for the consumer market up to midsize businesses.
What does this mean for EVault and Carbonite customers?
MA: Nothing will change in the short term. The benefit of this acquisition is that we’re bringing together the best of the two companies. Carbonite is strong in the personal and small business space and EVault excels with midsized businesses.
What does this mean for EVault and Carbonite channel partners?
MA: Carbonite and EVault’s partner programs will continue to operate independently. If channel partners want to sell both lines of products, they can join both brands’ partner programs. This will ensure all existing channel partners are able to continue seamlessly selling solutions and serving their clients.
MA: All of us here at Carbonite are really excited about the value we are going to bring to SMBs and channel partners with the addition of the EVault team. Welcome aboard!
For more information about the acquisition and transaction details, read our press release.