It’s National Small Business Week and we’re celebrating by honoring the hard work and entrepreneurial spirit of small business owners everywhere. Small business owners are at the center and heart of every community. They create jobs and help the economy. They give back by sponsoring teams, donating goods and being great neighbors. And they inspire us to follow our dreams.
Let’s face it: Pretty much everyone knows someone who owns a small business. Maybe it’s your accountant, lawyer, baker or plumber. For me, that person is my mother, who for my entire life has owned and operated a small Italian deli and convenience store called Anne’s Country Market in Franklin, Mass. I’ve watched her work hard, grow the business and become a beloved member of the community. National Small Business Week is a great time to tell her that I couldn’t be more proud of her.
In honor of all the small businesses founded with a few dollars and lots of hard work, we’ve created seven new memes that capture the essence of what it means to be a small business owner. Go ahead and share them with your social media networks and any small business owners you love. And when you’re done, be sure to get out and support your local small businesses. Happy National Small Business Week!
1. While all of the memes on this list ring true, this one strikes particularly close to home for me. I once had to dress up as a lobster and wave at passersby in an effort to draw attention to my mother’s new seafood menu. Small business owners go the distance!
2. There's no better feeling than being treated like family when you visit your favorite local business. Like the song goes, it’s always nice to shop someplace “where everybody knows your name.” Here’s to the small business owners who treat every customer this way.
3. Small business owners are part of the backbone of any community. Here’s a salute to the many small business owners who take that responsibility very seriously and show it by dedicating time and money to support local charities, fundraisers, children's sports teams and more.
4. Getting a small business off the ground is extremely challenging. Just when you think you’re about to get ahead financially a key piece of equipment breaks or some other disaster strikes and you’re back where you started. This meme is designed to sing the praises of small business owners who refuse to quit, work hard for every dollar and never take a penny for granted.
5. Small business owners are some of the busiest people in the world. When an employee is out sick, it’s often the small business owner that has to step up, work extra hours and do the work of multiple people. And getting time off to spend with your family can be a daunting if not impossible task. But the best small business owners always find a way to make the time – even if it means bringing work with them.
6. Passion. Craftsmanship. Skill. Dedication. Drive. Focus. These are just some of the words that come to mind when I think of the many small business owners who do not stop until the job is completed to perfection.
7. Everyone in my family – including my three of my brothers, my sister, and many of our cousins and friends – worked in my mother’s store at one time or another. And that is still going on today. Here’s to the many small business owners out there who make work a family affair.