World Backup Day is for those of us that keep our photos on our phones and store our work or personal documents on our laptops… in other words, almost all of us. The digitalization of our lives makes it easy to access things photos of our new niece or even work documents.
But the sad truth is that most of us don’t protect our data, even though losing it would be devastating. In fact, 21% of people have never backed up one of their devices. We’ve heard too many stories of lost wedding photos, stolen tax documents and destroyed files. That’s why every World Backup Day we try and get the word out to people and help them protect their photos, folders and files.
Why back up your data?
Smart phones are used more for photos than actual phone calls. That’s why we all store so many photos on our phones. But did you know that 113 phones are lost or stolen every minute? Not very reassuring, especially for people who don’t back up their data. And that’s just one way people lose photos.
Whether it’s an accidental deletion or even just a spilled cup of coffee, our electronics are vulnerable and so is the data we store on them. Data loss can happen to anyone, at any time, but backups can help ease the pain of an unexpected event.
Backups make a copy of your data and store it off-site, often in the cloud. And it all happens behind the scenes, so it’s seamless to the user. Dropped laptops are enough of a headache, but with a backup at least all the information you have on it is safe and ready to be transferred to a new device. Backups ensure that your precious memories are protected so you can easily access them in case of disasters or accidents.
What kind of backup do you need?
Now that you know why you need backup, it’s time to find the right protection. But with so many options, it can be overwhelming trying to find the right one. Here are the top 6 features you should look for:
- Unlimited space | Don’t settle for protecting only some of your photos or videos when you can protect them all.
- Automatic | None of us need another chore, so make sure to choose an option that does the work for you.
- Good reviews | There are lots of free services out there, but if you do a little digging many of them have bad reviews. Opt for backup from a reputable source.
- Mobile access | The whole point of having digital files is so we can use them – mobile access will make sure you always have access.
- A true backup solution | Many people settle for a cloud storage like Google Drive, but cloud storage doesn’t protect from ransomware, theft and more. If you want to protect your data, files and system, you need a cloud backup.
- Protection from disaster or accident | Make sure your backup protects you from every type of disaster, from a lost computer or dropped phone to an accidental deletion.
Celebrate World Backup Day
World Backup Day is a day dedicated to getting the word out about the importance of backup and the peace of mind you can get from knowing your irreplaceable photos and files are safe.
So once you’ve made sure you’ve got the right backup, mention World Backup Day to a friend or colleague. You never know, you might save them the headache of lost work or the anguish of lost family photos.
Interested in learning about unlimited and automatic cloud backup? Carbonite has our biggest discount of the year – take 75% off for a limited time discount.