If you're a Carbonite customer, you've likely heard that Carbonite is requiring all customers to reset their account passwords.
This is a proactive safety measure. Based on our security reviews, there is no evidence to suggest that Carbonite has been hacked or compromised. Your backups are safe and ongoing.
To reset your password, we sent you an email from email@example.com. That email contains a password reset link.
Based on feedback from other customers, here’s some answers to questions we’ve received:
Is the email that we received from Carbonite legitimate?
Yes. Carbonite sent an email to all customers an email asking them to reset their passwords.
We understand your desire to be cautious. In fact, we regularly tell readers of this blog to use extreme caution when opening emails from vendors, clicking on links and opening attachments. With that in mind, here are some ways to confirm that the email we sent you is legitimate.
- Check the sender's email address. We sent our request from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Reset Your Password button brings you to a Carbonite page. Check to make sure the URL is account.carbonite.com and that it has a green icon of a lock near or inside your web browser's search bar.
- Keep in mind that our password reset runs in your browser so you don’t need to download and run any executable files.
What can I do if I'm having trouble with the password resent link?
- Use the Forgot Password link on Carbonite.com. Please be patient, as it may take up to 12 hours to receive a reset email. https://account.carbonite.com/Subscriber/ForgotPassword
- Call Carbonite Customer Support at 877-222-5488 to reset your password over the phone. Wait times may be longer than expected due to high call volume.
What should I do if I have more questions?
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Carbonite Customer Support.
Again, please be aware that wait times may be longer than usual.
Carbonite appreciates your business and your willingness to partner with us as we strive to keep your data secure.
Why is Carbonite asking customers to update their passwords?
As part of our ongoing security monitoring, we recently became aware of unauthorized attempts to access a number of Carbonite accounts. This activity appears to be the result of third party attackers attempting to use stolen email addresses and passwords obtained from other companies to access Carbonite accounts.
When updating your password, it's important to use a password that's difficult to guess and different from the password you use to access other online accounts. This will help ensure the highest level of security. For more information on password best practices and online safety, please visit www.carbonite.com/safety.